Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunshine In A Flower



Lots of folks dismiss the sunny dandelion, saying "it's just a weed". I love everything about dandelions. As a child, my cousin and I would run around my grandparents lawn trying to pick all of them before my grandfather mowed the lawn. The sheer number made that an impossibility, but we always tried. As much as I loved my grandfather, I was still pretty upset each time he cut my pretty flowers.

Loving them didn't stop me from eating the greens, one of my favorite childhood veggies. If they got too big, they were rather bitter, but my grandmother was skilled at picking the tenderest greens.

Dandelions are good until the end. Who can resist blowing on them to create a dandelion snow storm?

6 comments :

  1. The sunflower should not be called the sunflower...THIS should

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It's Colleen with Sweet Home Designs...You were one of the blogs that I picked for a "Favorite" Award. Head on over and check it out to play along. It's just a way to gather Followers and support other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your pictures are truly beautiful! I am blog hopping with the Liebster Award group. Drop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an amazing plant- lots of food value.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see someone give kudos to the 'lowly' dandelion. I used to tell the kids they were called wish flowers.To this day, I still can't resist plucking one,making a wish and blowing the mall over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love flowers, especially the yellow ones..dandelion is nice..

    ReplyDelete